Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Ladyfest

As many of you know the launch of this project was Thursday June 17th. You may have been wondering where I was during this launch since I have not written on my blog. Let me give you a rundown.

What offers people hope, motivation, inspiration, and healing? Ladyfest Bellingham. Over the past months I have been apart of coordinating this wonderful festival of literature, art, and music. Ladyfest's goal is to offer women a safe space to be themselves and to show their creations. I saw beautiful art, listened to amazing and inspiring music and read some of the most powerful poems. Meanwhile, I saw people grow as individuals and gain hope from the artists that surrounded them. Not only did I witness wonderful things happening in the people around me but I too was influenced by all of the glorious festivities. Over the course of Ladyfest I was able to face some of my own confidence issues and feel motivated while gaining healing from the wonderful ladies I was able to interact with. I will post photos from this festival as well as discuss it in future posts.

On a side note: Monday was a sad day for me. Over the last 6 months I have been attending Poetry Night at the Anker Cafe. Through Poetry Night and the atmosphere that the Anker created I was able to build friendships and gain support from this new found community. However, the Anker Cafe closed its doors last night and went out of business. It was sad for me to see something that had become such a huge part of my life fade. While poetry night will still be going on and the community will still offer me hope and surround me with support, Bill Anker did such a marvelous job making his Cafe feel like another home to me. Thank you Bill for all of the wonderful experiences you offered me. I hope to see your Cafe reopen in the future. I will be one of the first people in line for Pretty City's wonderful Americanos.

No comments:

Post a Comment