Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Submission One

The Kindness of Stranger's Gives Me Hope. ~Rebecca Truman, CA

Today while getting on the bus I noticed an elderly lady trying to jog towards the bus. She was about to miss it when I told the bus driver to please wait a minute. So the bus driver waited a minute and she got on the bus. She sat down in the first seat. I witnessed acts of kindness from strangers during this bus ride to this women. She started talking about wanting to go to a thrift store and asking people on the bus where she could find one. Three people chimed in with their favorite thrift stores and offered advice on what items are the best to buy at each one. As the conversation progressed she mentioned that she was 91 years old and walked a mile everyday. One lady gasped and said, "Wow, that is amazing. That offers me so much hope." The elderly lady shared a bit more about her history and about still maintaining her own home. Then she said, "Except for that stupid yard. I went to Arkansas for four weeks. When I got back the weeds were this high. I just can't maintain that anymore." Then a man spoke up and said that he has plenty of yard work experience and that he would be more than willing to help her out free of charge. I thought this was a wonderful example of an act of kindness from a stranger. People helping people offers hope to all who are involved. Thanks Rebecca for being the first to submit what gives you hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment